Those who really know me, they’ve been on the receiving end of some serious geekdom. And that thing I can geek about for no end… it’s that whole flying thing.
I commence my confession by classifying the four things I geek out about avation...
- You are FLYING! The whole experience of being in a chair, in the sky, like a Greek god, being served drinks, just casually blasting across the world…
- You are FLYING! The engineering side of how a wing works, jet turbines, the *huge* forces involved. Mind = blown.
- There's no business like the airline business. Few things quite come close to the global, capital intensive, foreign exchange, multi-market, multi-culture, indescribably complex operation and strategy of running an airline
- The puzzle of finding absurdly cheap flights. Like 60… 70… 80% off business class flights (ergo: the same budget as economy) AND THEN the same trick again in economy. Fly more OR fly in more style. MOAR!
But, people do take an interest. A much more meek and mild interest. I guess flying means travel. Travel means experiences. Experiences make life what it is. In particular, people take people find the cheap flights + optimised experience interesting.
And... I feel like I need to write this down in a way that will be useful to someone at some point.
So, here’s a quick poll for you friends and followers… what do you want me to write about? What do you need a friendly plane geek to help you out with? I’m particularly thinking of my fellow Brits, whom I've probably the most useful advice.
Your options are...
1. Maximising one’s flying experience
- Finding great seats
- Getting awesome free booze on the ground and in the air
- Achieving elite status on airlines
- General rockstar treatment
2. Aeronautical engineering and technology
- How planes fly
- New aircraft and technology
- The future of flight
- Awesome engineering stuff
3. Unravelling the business of aviation
- The business of the airline business
- Global economics in the aviation market
- What airline stocks I've bought and why
- Aviation M&A analysis
4. Finding you absurdly cheap flights
- Advanced frugal flight search
- Finding obscenely cheap economy class deals
- Finding obscenely cheap business class deals
- Earning and burning air miles like a boss.
Those are your big four...
I’ll make a series for you on this blog in the coming weeks.
Choose your destiny - go!